Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Crappy Day = Crafty Day

Well, early dismissal yesterday and ANOTHER 'snow' day today...Oh how I wish it was snow! We have a nasty, slushy, icy, wet MESS out there today! I went out while the girls were having their lunch to shovel our walkways. I guess I should have gone out earlier because I now have about an inch of ice I can't get up. Our driveway is going to be SCARY when it freezes. It's an unpaved driveway so despite the snow plow, there is usually a little snow left on it. Well that snow is now covered in ice, slush, and water, and the ends of the driveway are full of all the plowed crap from the road...I may never make it out of here in my mini van! Hoping the plow guy makes an appearance!

So, we finally took advantage of our day at home to work on that Valentine craft I had mentioned earlier. I had high hopes for all of these cute yarn hearts hanging all over our house and the girls giving them away to grandparents and teachers...HA! We each made one and that was the end of it!

                                 I did a demo for the girls and then they got to work...


The girls hard at work dipping the yarn in the 'glue'
                                   


 The little has no issues with diving right in and getting the 'glue' all over her hands! My big girl, not so much!


Note the excess 'glue' all over the little's hand!



Their finished products! They are drying now, we'll see how they turn out?!?!
Here are the instructions if you are feeling daring and crafty!
Corn Starch Glue - Mix 1/4c. corn starch with 1/2c. water. Stir until smooth. Heat over medium heat until it is thick and translucent. Allow to cool to the touch.

Cut yarn into foot long pieces. We used red, pink, and white. Place heart shaped cookie cutter on a piece or wax or parchment paper. Push a piece of yarn into the glue. Pull out and run it between your thumb and pointer finger to wipe off excess glue. Lay the yarn inside the cookie cutter. Repeat with other pieces until the cookie cutter is filled with a thin layer. With a clean hand, press the yarn flat. Gently lift off the cookie cutter.
Allow to air dry for at least a day. You can speed up the drying by placing the hearts and parchment paper in the oven set to warm for an hour or two. (We are letting it air dry...)

Like I said, we had gotten the idea form the February issue of Family Fun, but I couldn't find it anywhere on the site. If you guys attempt it, be sure to let me know how you make out!

No comments:

Post a Comment