Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Cookie a week?!

I'm up for a challenge...My waist, maybe not but...I have one friend who is in search of the best chocolate chip cookie (check out her journey here!) and another who already does an amazing Christmas cookie challenge, and is now doing cupcakes!

I have been on a baking kick as of late anyway, let's see if I can keep our cookie jar filled through the rest of spring!

Luckily, I already have weeks 1 & 2 under my belt.


Week 1: Reese's Chewy Chocolate Cookies
1 1/4c. butter or margarine, softened
2 c. sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp. vanilla extract
2 c. all purpose flour
3/4c. cocoa
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 2/3c. peanut butter chips

Heat oven to 350. Beat butter and sugar in large bowl. until light and fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla; beat well. In medium bowl, combine flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt; gradually blend into butter mixture. Stir in peanut butter chips. Drop by rounded spoonful onto ungreased cookie sheets.

Bake 8-10 minutes. {Do not over-bake. Cookies will be soft. They will puff up while baking and flatten as they cool.} Cool slightly. Remove from baking sheet to wire rack to cool completely. Makes approx. 3 dozen cookies.

Week 2: The (in my case, not so) infamous Neiman Marcus Cookies


Have you heard this urban legend? About the price someone paid for the store's famous cookie recipe? I was intrigued, so made them this past Sunday. They were pretty good and the hubby really seems to like them so I'm sure I'll make them again! (It actually looks like the recipe I used was not the Neiman Marcus recipe so I may have to do a do-over, but this is the one I found on cooks.com)
1/2 c. unsalted butter, softened
1 c. brown sugar
3 tbsp. granulated sugar
1 egg
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1-3/4 c. flour
1-1/2 tsp. instant espresso powder, slightly crushed
8 oz. semisweet chocolate chips

Cream the butter with the sugars until fluffy. Beat in the egg and the vanilla extract. Combine the dry ingredients and beat into the butter mixture. Stir in the chocolate chips.

Drop by large spoonfuls onto a greased cookie sheet. Bake at 375°F for 8 to 10 minutes, or 10 to 12 minutes for a crispier cookie.

Makes about 2 dozen cookies.

No comments:

Post a Comment